I’ve had so many conversations during this last project that I have lost track of the endless details. I have told so many people “send me an email” after the conversation that they are starting to look at me like I am crazy.
Conversations are vital to a project. We need to banter back and forth to gain clarity on our expectations. However, written communication is better than verbal when details are being shared. Why?
- I forget stuff. A LOT of stuff
- If I need it, I can find it again later
- Written notes help us avoid misunderstandings
- It documents our agreements
- It clarifies what we said
What do I mean by written?
- MINIMAL = Give me a paper document
- GOOD = Give me an electronic document
- BETTER = Send it in an email
- BEST = Send me a text message (keep it short)
Thanks for listening.