When I am driving home from work, I take any of a countless number of different routes. There are a million things (internal or external) that can change my route:
- Traffic problems
- When Lisa calls mid-route to ask me to stop at the store
- If I pre-planned a detour to swing by and pickup some things on the way home
- Sometimes I get sidetracked (maybe when not paying attention) and I have to find my way back to the original destination
- Construction can reroute me
- Police activity can reroute me
The same is true on projects. They are usually headed off track and are constantly in need of adjustment due to internal and external forces.
That is why we need project managers. Projects don’t just happen.
Thanks for listening.