Thrashing needs to include a lot of people who are outside our normal conversations. I need people from other perspectives to challenge my thinking and make my projects more excellent. I need to learn to embrace that “out of the box” thinking that guides me to consider options that would never have been thought of…options that are beyond my own ability to produce. Thrashing should include:
- Ideas from parents for my next student event.
- Suggestions from patients for my medical practice
- Perspective from friends in other vocations (e.g. police, computer programmers, or trainers from the gym who work with the public)
- Thoughts from staff from other departments that are involved
- Input from facilities
- People with other gifts and talents than I have on my team
(CONFESSION: I am starting to get tired of using the word “thrashing”. Do you have a better word to suggest?)
Thanks for listening.