It doesn’t matter if I am leading or following, there are positive and negative experiences attached to both roles. The positive (beneficial) aspects are usually easier to see and understand. But, there is the other side too.
When Leadership isn’t Fun
- I have to make difficult decisions for the good of the project…even when followers may disagree with or even be hurt by them.
- I have to take responsibility for the work of those I lead, even when I disagree with their actions
- I must work on difficult tasks and projects that followers can choose to avoid
When Followership isn’t Fair
- I have to submit to the authority of my leader, regardless of how I feel about the person or their decisions
- I have to champion the success of projects that I don’t necessarily agree with
- I need to optimize my leader’s calendar by sacrificing my own…investing 100x more on every project and avoiding asking for his help
Leadership isn’t always fun…and followership isn’t always fair.
But we still have to lead and we still have to follow.
Thanks for listening.