Kevin Myers (the leader of our staff) recently asked all of us to stop writing and balance our pens on our fingers. After we all rolled our eyes, he said “balance is a simple concept…and it’s easy to balance one thing.”
But then, he showed us This video from “India Has Talent”. I hope you will watch it (long at 7 minutes, but worth it). It is absolutely unbelievable to watch. It’s stunning. Words can’t describe the beauty and poise of this woman who balances a feather and a dozen large palm fronds that range up to 7 feet in length. We were speechless.
He then began teaching us about balance.
- Balance is simple until you have other things to balance.
- The more you add, the more challenging it is to balance everything.
- Let’s not pretend that we’re all the same when you are balancing a feather and someone else has that plus 10 more branches. It’s not the same.
- Balance is difficult for everybody. Life continuously adds demand. Everybody feels the pressure of being handed another branch.
- Each extra branch uniquely impacts the other. Nothing is independent. I thought my life was full when I was single. Then I got married. Then I added kids. The pressure compounds.
BUT – No one can give you the answer (on how to balance) because your life is unique. Your balance is unique. Your personality is unique. Some people are high capacity and some are low. Some are extroverts and some introverts. There is no textbook answer on how to balance your life. So, be careful not to copy from anyone else’s life to get your answers.
Tomorrow: Where does the pressure come from?
PS: Thanks for listening!