From it’s very first episode, I have been a huge Star Trek fan. I can hardly wait for the new movie to come out this week! In particular, I have always been captivated by the manner in which their characters model relationships, work ethic, and the role of rank and authority. Here are just a few characteristics I observed in a recent episode:
- Honor and submission to leaders in authority
- Pursuit of excellence
- Adherence to the mission (e.g. “the Prime Directive”)
- Respect for diversity (both ethnic diversity and also diversities of opinion)
- Making difficult choices
There are plenty of other media examples…and they carry distinctively different perspectives. For example: “The Simpsons”
- Rebellion and dismissal of authority
- Pursuit of personal pleasures
- Lack of purpose
- Disrespect for everyone else
- Avoiding tough choices
As you lead….as you move forward and make choices…are you aware of how media and other sources have shaped your perspective? Beware not to accidentally absorb attitudes from the media that you don’t desire to model to others!
Thanks for listening.