How do you feel when someone does better than you?
- Perhaps they throw a better curve ball
- Maybe they can produce a better chocolate chip cookie
- Some people are incredibly good at spelling bee’s
But I am asking how you respond when others surpass you on things that really matter to you. How do you react to being surpassed in your career?
- When I first joined 12Stone Church, I was in charge of all ministries. As we grew over time, we hired more pastors and my responsibilities were handed over to others. Later, my most highest pastoral role (called Spiritual Formation) was handed over to Mark, and he led it 100x better than I did. He grew to become the Campus Pastor over the largest campus and carries far more spiritual influence than me.
- So, I moved over and ran the business office for several years. But along came Norwood and he quickly showed himself to be more qualified for that role. He was better educated, more intelligent, and more influential in the community. We needed him in that position, so that was where he moved. And, he too has led 100x better than I ever did.
- Next, I began launching new campuses. But, we are launching so many now that I could not handle it by myself. We needed more horsepower to accomplish our goals, so we hired Ryan. Now, Ryan is running circles around me in my own area of expertise.
Time and time again, other people are taking over and surpassing me.
If I had resisted, complained, or fought against them, I would have lost influence in my organization. But, my influence has not diminished…it has actually grown with the pace in which I hand over my responsibilities. I win…and they win.
As others surpass me, we both win.
Can you celebrate the accomplishments of others when they surpass you, or do you look for ways to sabotage their success?
Thanks for listening.