I recently referred to this post from Michael Hyatt about finding a mentor.
When I first joined 12Stone church, we were 50 people in temporary facilities and our pastor had to “lift himself by his bootstraps”, pulling all of us into becoming leaders alongside him. Now (25 years later) we have over 13,000 people in average attendance. It has been an incredible experience of personal growth.
Using those early days as a model, here are some steps you can take to grow yourself:
- Gather 5-7 leaders (or potential leaders) and invite them into the growth process with you. We grow best in relational community with other leaders.
- Pick a book (I suggest that you start with John Maxwell’s “The Five Levels of Leadership”)
- Meet regularly (weekly or every other week, but no less than 1x/month) and make everyone respond to these two questions:
- What are you learning?
- How are you applying it?
- Find and subscribe to ministry leadership blogs like:
- http://churchrelevance.com/resources/top-church-blogs (if you want to wander around looking for more)
- Find and attend leadership conferences like:
If you decide to follow this process…contact me after 5-6 months of continuous discussion and let’s talk about the results.
Thanks for listening.