How do I measure myself against others in my field?
- In school, I knew how I was doing by my grades
- In sports, I know how I am doing by looking on the scoreboard
- In business, I can compare my P&L, Balance Sheet, and ROI to others in my market sector
But what about our PM skills? How do we know that we are capable of tackling a bigger project? When should we step up and take more risks?
- Ask your boss. He is the one in the best position to assess your capabilities. If you don’t get a straightforward assessment, press harder for a candid assessment. You don’t want to accept a casual “everything is fine” type response.
- Ask yourself. Do people come ask you for help? Are you sought after when a new project is started? Are you given more projects and carry more influence than you had last year?
- Ask a mentor. Find someone inside (or outside) your organization who has clearly achieved more than you…and ask for their candid assessment. Open your heart and mind to hear the real truth – and learn from it.
No matter what the cost, keep asking. Don’t settle in.
Thanks for listening.