I have a “friend of a friend” who was planning to use a WORD document to keep track of all her wedding invitations. After pleading with her and extolling all the advantages of using EXCEL for that purpose (for sorting by name, to group by family, to keep track of RSVP’s, etc.) she eventually agreed to use a spreadsheet, even though she despised it and was not comfortable on how to use it.
However, she lost an opportunity to leverage the power of that tool when she put the Huff’s under column H…the Smith’s under column S…and the Williams under column W. Ouch. That is painful to hear.
When we are trying to manage our projects…and we are having difficulty with our tools, there is probably a better way. If it feels like it ought to be easier – then we are probably right. Technology today provides a faster way to do almost anything. We can:
- Stop and call an expert that we know
- Ask someone more knowledgeable to spend an hour and show us some shortcuts
- Search for tips and tricks for our tool on YouTube
- Google search “How do I _____” and fill in the blank with an exact phrase of our problem
- Take a training class on how to use our tools
- Read the user manual
Thanks for listening.