I am working to improve my ability to communicate up the chain of command. Even after 30+ years in the workforce, this is a crucial skill to continuously sharpen. Why?
- So I can add more value to the organization
- To improve my ability to serve those above me
Communication is a skill that can be honed and sharpened. Here are some suggestions on improving how you engage upwards in your organization.
- Learn to keep your opinions to yourself about situations that are outside of your responsibility. Instead, invest more energy to grow in areas you have influence.
- Become more selective about what you share. Stop trying to share everything you know…and instead pick those gold nuggets that will most help your leader.
- Know what matters to your leader, and make sure they have the opportunity to influence when major decisions are being made.
As I have improved in these skills, my influence has grown.
Your influence can grow, too.
Thanks for listening.