Seth Godin wrote a post on embarrassment, and it is a powerful understanding of that emotion and how it affects our thinking. Embarrassment – as we imagine it – can easily prevent us from taking the very steps we need to move forward. Here is my spin on his thoughts…
If I envision the future and anticipate that my actions will create embarrassment…it can be a powerful tool to prevent mistakes.
- If I fail to deliver on my promises, I would feel shame
- If I reveal another person’s confidential information, they might lose trust in me
- If I walk into the wrong bathroom, everyone is embarrassed
But, if I envision the future and anticipate less than perfect outcomes…it can be an obstacle which prevents me from taking action.
- If I write a blog post and no one reads it, I will be embarrassed over the wasted effort
- If I pursue a personal goal and miss it, I would feel embarrassment over the failure
- If I honestly share my thoughts and opinions and others don’t like them, I would feel embarrassment
Beware…do not allow the “potential embarrassment” to keep you from taking action and moving towards your future.
Thanks for listening.