A few years ago, one of my projects was in a deep rut and I couldn’t get it moving. My database system had performance issues and I didn’t know what to do. My friend Mark Knap said “why don’t you get a hired gun to blow a hole in it?”
I didn’t know what he meant. He said:
- Hired Guns are there to kill something (your problem)
- They don’t train. They don’t consult. They just do their thing and they do it better than anyone else.
- They are expensive, but they know how to get rid of the problem
- Don’t ask them to explain what they are doing…you’ll just slow them down.
- When they finish, pay them and move on.
I searched around and found someone who was the industry expert on this system…and he charged $250 per hour. I nearly had a heart attack. That sounded CRAZY.
But…do you know how long it took him to fix the problem? About 20 minutes.
I have never been so grateful to write a check for that one hour. I thought to myself – why did I allow my organization to suffer for so many weeks when it was that easy to fix?
When you know exactly what problem you need to kill and don’t know how, go get a Hired Gun. Pay them and move on.
Thanks for listening.