Yesterday, I posted about people who treat vendors improperly…making them waste time generating quotes and other work that they are not compensated for.
But, there is a situation that is worse. Much worse.
Do you waste the time of your fellow team members or peers in your organization? Do you:
- Ask them for reports that you will never use?
- Ask them to help on your projects…and never return the favor?
- Ask them to find information that you are capable of finding yourself?
- Ask them to work overtime for a project that then sits on your desk?
- Ask them to deliver on projects that everyone knows is a waste of time?
Do that too often, and you will waste your influence and no one will take you seriously.
(Note that this does not apply to supervisors, or others in authority over me. They can “exercise” me as often as they think is needed or helpful!)
Thanks for listening.
PS: I post every day at 7am. If you read these via Facebook or Twitter, you may be missing them on a daily basis. Sign up on chrishuff.net for an RSS feed or to have them emailed to you each morning.