I’m pretty good at surrounding myself with some really smart people. I accomplish that by:
- Relentlessly striving to be the best I can be at what I do
- Showing respect for their accomplishments
- Listening to what they say and leaning on their advice. If don’t agree or understand what they tell me, I keep seeking to learn until I do.
- Being generous with whatever time/wisdom I have to share
Therefore, when I ask smart people what they think, they respect me enough to tell me. And, I am candid with them in return. I don’t hold back if I can add value to their lives.
But, there are times when I am slow to grasp an issue. Since I have been respectful of their accomplishments and not wasted their time, smart people will take time to explain what I need to know.
They don’t call me an idiot. They don’t question my intelligence. But if I’m listening closely, I can recognize when that’s what they are actually telling me (smile).
- Do you pursue smart people?
- Do you listen closely to what they are saying?
- Do you learn from them and apply what you have learned?
If you do, smart people will continue investing in you. If you don’t, they will get tired of having you waste their time and they will stop taking your calls.
It’s up to you.
Thanks for listening.