When I receive an email …and there are multiple names in the “To:” distribution list…I almost always delete the email. Why?
- I receive about 200 emails a day
- I don’t have time to read them all
- You sent this email to a lot of people other than me
- I’m not singled out as being responsible for anything
- Therefore, this must be an “FYI” email blast that I can ignore
If you are asking me to take action, you need to format the email in a very specific manner.
- Put my name only in the “To:” distribution list
- Clearly define the action needed from me in the first 1-2 sentences
- Give me a short, clear reason why I need to take action (or make a decision)
Thanks for listening.