Our staff receives many great teachings from Kevin Myers, and this one is an illustration that has shaped our staff over many years. He tells us there are two types of organizations (or Project Teams), namely of the types Pineapple or Peach.
These teams are hard on the outside and soft on the inside. In other words, they make decisions and trade-off’s that are easier on themselves and harder on others.
- Important staff have assigned parking spaces close to the building (not visitors)
- Signs and printed materials use terminology that is only known by “insiders”
- Customers have to jump through hoops to get any service or support
These teams are hard on the inside and soft on the outside. In other words, they make decisions and trade-off’s that are easier on others and harder on themselves.
- My bank has created a phone app so that I can take a picture of a check and it will be immediately deposited into my account.
- Chic-Fil-A over-staffs their restaurant so that their people can be free to better serve the customers (refilling drinks and taking trash from our tables).
- Our church purchased the exact same bible to place under every chair across all four campuses, just so that we can refer to page numbers rather than book/chapter/verse. After all, many who attend are not familiar with how a bible is organized.
Which type organization do you belong to?
Thanks for listening.