One of my friends has an incredible “resume” that he has assembled during his 40ish years on this planet.
- He is an accomplished classical musician and singer who has played at the “semi-pro” level…most notably at the NY Metropolitan Opera House
- He is an accomplished SQL Database Administrator…a rare high tech skill that companies pay crazy money (compared to us mortals) to obtain
He recently made a career and church change that placed him in an unfamiliar territory…he is now the “new guy” who is trying to prove himself at a higher level of performance in both areas. I think you will appreciate his “confessions”:
After 20 years of doing (insert something here), I think I should be the best at it. If I’m not, then I think something is wrong with me. So I have inadvertently shut out my own growth potential to cover up my inner fear of looking in the mirror and seeing something inadequate. I was always the big fish in the little pond. As soon as I truly asked for growth and meant it, God threw me into 12Stone and [my new employer]. Now I’m a “little fish” again for the first time in decades….
…I have struggled with admitting that the guys at 12Stone make me look like I’ve never touched a musical instrument…
…I have struggled with admitting that the guys at [my new employer] make me look like I’ve never coded before…
He then delivered one of the most profound thoughts I have heard in a long time:
If I have that much trouble sitting at the feet of people who are more experienced than me…when I can SEE the experience difference directly in front of me, my ego problem must be much more extensive than I thought. How hard must it be for me to sit at God’s feet? How far does that ego keep me from God? What am I missing out on because of that inability to see what’s clearly in front of me?
What about you? Are you having difficulty admitting your deficiencies?
- Can you sit at the feet of others who are more skilled and accomplished in your field or career?
- Does your ego keep you from learning from them? Does it keep you from sitting at God’s feet?
- What are YOU missing out on?
Thanks for listening.