At this very moment, I am in the middle of more leadership transitions than I’ve seen in all my years.
- I have a new boss transitioning from another position in the organization
- I have a new employee transitioning from another position in the organization
- I have a dozen volunteer leaders moving into new assignments
- I am helping launch five new locations, each with its own set of new leaders
- And, I can see a ton of new leadership openings coming in the next 6-9 months
Wow. What is the best model to transition a new leader? There are many…
- Some people dump everything on the new leader. It’s sink or swim.
- Some people hold back and resist handing over responsibility to the new leader.
- Some people have planned timelines to shift responsibilities over to the new leader
- Some people just wing it as they go
But, perhaps the most important aspect of the transition is speed. How fast can you transition to the new leader? Although there is no specific answer to that, I think there are some important axioms to follow.
If you are going to make a mistake, make mistakes like:
- Empowering more rather than less
- Trusting more rather than less
- Communicating more rather than less
Thanks for listening.