My son Sean is carrying a huge set of responsibilities right now. His company has recently accepted $17M in contracts that have to be finished by the end of the year (December 31). He is feeling the pressure to deliver and succeed on his goals.
I acknowledged that I was in a similar season. We both are in high-gear situations where many people are depending on us to produce.
Personally, I think it is a God-inspired character trait to deliver for our leaders. The Bible speaks directly to the requirement to please our earthly (not just Heavenly) masters.
How do we know if we have taken it too far? How do we know if we’ve crossed a line and sacrificed our character or family to produce at the office? Here are a few suggestions that indicate you need to pull back.
You might be working too hard if:
- If you get home at 5pm and celebrate getting home early
- If you need a drink every day after work to calm down
- If you never go 24 hours without checking your email, even on vacation
- If it’s been months since you did any housework, maintenance, or home improvements
- If you can’t remember the last time you went on a date with your spouse
- If you feel exhausted all the time
- If your spouse has given up and stopped asking you to slow down
Thanks for listening.