Locker room conversations about the X’s and O’s (detailed strategy behind the game) are not designed for impressing the crowds. In fact, they can be quite boring for those who are spectators. Most people just want to see the game in action…or maybe they only care to see the final score to know that their team won.
But for those who are playing the game, these conversations are crucial to improving our level of play. Without a pre-game plan…and a post game bebrief…we are destined to repeat our mistakes. That is a recipe for failure.
How about you? Do you dwell on and discuss the X’s and O’s for your project? They include issues like:
- Do you have a current and written project plan?
- Have you prepared all the drawings?
- Are you aware of the critical path?
- What are your key metrics?
- Do you have all your resources allocated?
- What contingencies are needed?
- Does everyone on the team understand the plan?
- Is the budget approved?
- What are your milestones?
- What obstacles are we facing next?
If you are responsible for a project, these questions must be constantly reviewed and addressed…they can’t get overlooked due to boredom or a lack of interest. Not if you want to win.
Thanks for listening.