We all have seasons of “over-drive” when we are pressed beyond our limits. The tasks and projects seem to multiply, schedules start sliding, and budgets start breaking. As the pressure increases, how do you cope?
Here are some unsuccessful coping mechanisms I have tried in the past:
- Just try harder
- Take shortcuts in my projects
- Constantly “borrow” from personal, family, and God time (but never “return” it)
- Put pressure on others to give more so I can feel better about the results
- Try to “escape” through improper methods (over-eating, alcohol, sex)
- Get moody at home and yell at my family
Here are some more helpful ideas:
- Stop doing all the dumb stuff we do that wastes time (you know what those are, you just don’t want to admit it)
- Learn the art of compression – how to get more done in less time. My work seems to expand to the amount of time I allocate. Therefore, I need to allocate less time.
- Get smarter. Other people do 10x the amount of work that we do. Go learn how they do it.
- If we trust God with our soul, maybe we could trust Him to fill the gaps in our job when we run out of margin
Thanks for listening.