Systems are nothing more than tools we use to make our lives run faster and more efficient. Here are some examples:
- Formulas in a spreadsheet that automatically calculate the results
- Having a spot where I always put my keys so that I never loose them
- Alerts on my phone that tell me when I have an upcoming appointment
- Monthly bills that arrive in the mail and remind me to respond
- Project Management tools that tell me which tasks have priority
- Customized database reports that tell me which groups need to be updated
- Mailboxes in the workroom where staff can share info asynchronously
- Registration systems on the web site for upcoming events
If you find yourself in need of speeding up your workday…its time to look for systems that can simplify your workflow. Systems are designed so that you can push a button on one side and have the result pop out the other side. When every task is a custom design, your life will move very, very slowly.
Yes, systems take time to learn. But they provide multiple times the payback once you master them.
Thanks for listening.
PS: I post every day at 7am. If you read these via Facebook or Twitter, you may be missing them on a daily basis. Sign up on chrishuff.net for an RSS feed or to have them emailed to you each morning.