These behaviors will break a project:
- Keep a never-ending list of reasonable objections.
- Keep track of mistakes that other people make
- Protest every time you are asked to deliver outside your normal job description
- Be the “Devil’s Advocate” on every issue
- Find every reason that a potential project might fail
- Never call a meeting. After all, they waste people’s time.
- Never volunteer to help
- Never encourage your peers
- Never participate in the meeting discussion
- Make snide remarks towards other ideas…just to lighten the meeting
People who exhibit these behaviors are not evil…just afraid of change. Since we can’t change these behaviors in others, let’s get courageous and change them in ourselves!
Thanks for listening.
(Adapted from Seth Godin’s A field guide to the Meeting Troll)